Bonair Trailers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel

2 posters

Go down

Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel Empty Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel

Post by geegee Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm

I am looking for a door for my Bonair, the size is 26" X 72" it literally fell apart, think I may have a leak at the top of door, it just rotted out. Any tips on repairing or replacing?????
Thanks

geegee

Back to top Go down

Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel Empty Re: Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel

Post by RickyBoy Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Are you talking about the door frame or the door itself ? A door is pretty much standard size and with a little fiddling using another make/brand door you will be able to fit it just right. There is also the possibility of rebuilding it. Some 2x1's some PL2000 construction adhesive, new stainless steel screws and some new insulation and you are good to do...It's a one day project for sure.

RickyBoy

Back to top Go down

Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel Empty Re: Needed for my 1989 Bonair 5th wheel

Post by RickyBoy Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi,
it has been my experience that it is a good idea to take pictures as you take the old door a part, measurements of everything and all angles is a good thing as well.

Draw it up on paper and add the info.

When taking the fiberglass sheet off the door frame, if it does not simply peel off, I would use a paint scraper, be careful not to gouge the foam insulation.

Remove the window, take more pictures. Again it might be glued and screwed so take your time as to not break any plastic parts of the window frame.

The contour of the door should be aluminum strips that are screwed in, those would have to come off first as well as the hinges.

Removing the rotted out frame pieces can be tricky, the frame is all nailed gunned in with tacks, you will have to cut them or pry them off with tools. You can use a nail gun to put it all back together but as an added bonus use some 90 degree angle brackets in all inside corners as well, this will make your door stay solid and true for a long time.

Hope I was of help and please feel free to ask any questions that you may have along the way.
I strongly encourage you to post your picture on this site, your project could make some one else feel at ease in the restoration of their Bonair and your picture would serve as a guide.

Thank you for being part of the community.
Eric,

RickyBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down